Communicating Objectives

You can communicate a characters objective through different acting techniques and skills, including body language, movement and voice. In the play 'Noughts & Crosses', I portray the character 'Kamal Hadley'. His objective is to keep his daughter safe and away from the McGregor family. He wants Sephy to go to boaring school. However, she doesn't want to go and leave Callum McGregor. When I play Kamal, I raise my voice to show that I am angry and to show that I am serious about Sephy going to boarding school. I also change the tone of my voice to go low to make myself sound very forceful. I am not close with Jasmine anymore, as we are divorced so when I say 'Aren't we, Jasmine?', I make my voice bolder and deeper. I do this as if I am forcing her to agree with me. 
To communicate my objective, I use different movements and body language. For example, I show that I am very distant to the family by facing and talking in the opposite direction of them. I also point my finger to show Sephy that I am in control. When I say 'Thats the end of it', I swipe my hands across each other too show that the conversation is over and I have nothing else left to say. I feel that I have developed my character well and shown his objective whilst performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment