Technical Terms: Voice

Voice can be used in so many different ways to portray a character. In the play "Noughts & Crosses", I will be portraying the character "Kamal" using both body language and different tone of voice. Some examples are listed below:

"I worry sometimes that Heathcroft doesn't quite stretch you enough." 
I use a pause between 'quite' and 'stretch' to show that he isn't sure what word to use and doesn't fully understand his daughters situation.

"So, how's school going, princess?" 
At the end of this line, my pitch goes up to show that I am asking a question. If you do not do this, it will seem as though you are giving a statement.

"Your mother and I are in complete agreement on this. Aren't we Jasmine?" 
I use a very slow pace when reading this line to show that my character is quite bitter and spiteful to his ex - Jasmine. My tone of voice deepens and I emphasise my characters voice to show that I am being a very forceful and a slightly aggressive character.

"It'll all work out, princess. Trust me." 
My volume lessens in this line to show that I am more calm and relaxed than I was before. My voice also sounds softer when I read this line, as I am trying to make another character feel relaxed.


No comments:

Post a Comment